Getting a marriage license is an important detail in your wedding celebration and Lucky Penny is here to make it as easy as possible. We are sharing the where, what and how to apply for a marriage license in Gunnison County, Colorado.
You will find the Gunnison County Clerk and Recording Office located at 221 N Wisconsin Street, Gunnison. The office is open Monday through Friday, 8am – 4pm. Let me preface by saying if you’re getting married in Gunnison County, but you’re from elsewhere, even another state, you can still get a marriage certificate in Gunnison and file it in Gunnison. The benefit to getting the license in Gunnison, like many things in this town, is if there is a line it will be short!
In Colorado there are three types of marriage licenses:
- Religious – This marriage certificate is used in traditional ceremonies where an ordained officiant is conducting the ceremony. There are five lines for signatures; one officiant, the couple and two witnesses. Side note, no proof of ordination is required.
- Civil – This marriage certificate is used if a judge is conducting the ceremony.
- Self – In the state of Colorado a couple can marry themselves. No witnesses or ceremony officiant are required. There are a total of four signature lines, each person signs twice.
You and your fiance will need to bring the following:
- A valid photo ID, such as a driver’s license
- Social security number. You just need the number. The actual card is not needed.
- Your mother’s maiden name
- Money. A Colorado marriage certificate costs $30. Gunnison County accepts cash, check or credit card. Each certified copy is an additional $3. I would recommend a few certified copies, they are often needed for a name change.
A few additional note. A marriage license may be picked up within 30-days prior to the wedding day and must be filed with the Gunnison County Clerk within 63-days after it is signed or it is no longer valid. There is no waiting period from the time a licence is issued; you could sign it right there in the recording office.
For couples who are having an un-ordained family member or friend conduct their ceremony, I would recommend checking an online ordination born right here in Gunnison! Church of the Open Road. For $50 you can apply for ordination, get the essentials of conducting a wedding ceremony and a badge! What officiant doesn’t want a badge?
Feel free to post below if you have any additional questions regarding Gunnison County marriage licences.